The course covers the following subject
Most projects, being either seuqential or iterative (Agile), implicitly use some kind of risk-based approach for prioritizing testing activities. Critical testing decisions should be based on a thorough product risk assessment process with key business drivers as the foundation. PRISMA (PRoduct RISk MAnagement), a practical method for performing systematic product risk assessments is presented. It is explained how to carry out risk identification and analyzes, and how to use the outcome to select the most appropriate test approach to mitigate the risk. Learn how to apply risk-based testing in both traditional and Agile projects, including how to create an Agile sprint “test plan”. Practical experiences are shared, problems overcome and results observed employing product risk assessments. Learn how to set testing priorities and optimize your test effort by including product risk assessment in your testing practices. Develop a practical approach to inform project stakeholders about important testing decisions and provide clear visibility on product risk status.
Attendees to the course (workshop) risk-based testing will receive a complimentary copy of the book “Practical Risk-Based Testing – The PRISMA Approach” written Erik van Veenendaal. They will also be provided with a link for a free download of the risk-assessment tool.
- Concept of risk-based testing
- Product risk assessments (including exercises)
- PRISMA process and Risk-Poker technique (including exercises)
- Risk mitigation; define a test approach (including exercises)
- Risk-based reporting
- Understand the basics of risk-based testing
- Understand the concept of the product risk matrix as a basis for risk-based testing
- Be able to perform a risk assessment in your project using PRISMA
- Be able to perform a product risk assessment in your Agile project using Risk Poker
- Be able to define a test approach to mitigate your product risks
- Learn how to do risk-based communication and reporting to stakeholders
- Learn valuable and practical lessons from other projects doing risk-based testing
Target audience: This course is intended for test leads, test managers, test consultants and (Agile) testers. Every tester is involved in defining test priorities! This course is typically also of interest to SCRUM masters, project managers and lead-developers.
Trainer: Erik van Veenendaal, Bonaire
Erik van Veenendaal is a leading international consultant, trainer, and recognized expert in software testing. He is the founder of Improve Quality Services BV, a company that specializes in testing, requirements engineering, and quality management. Erik is the author of a number of books and papers, one of the core developers of the TMap testing methodology and the TMMi improvement model, a participant in working parties of the International Software Testing Qualification Board (ISTQB), and currently on the TMMi Foundation board. He is a frequent speaker at international testing and Agile conferences. For his major contribution to the field of testing, Erik received the “European Testing Excellence Award” in December, 2007 and the “ISTQB International Testing Excelence Award” in October, 2015.